Hesse-Kassel Line Infantry Colours
To the present day, a definitive reconstruction of the Hesse-Cassel colours during the Seven Years' War is non-existant. All existing publications are mostly speculative.
Most of the Hessian colours prior to 1770 were more simple using the cypher or monogram of the reigning Landgrave Wilhelm VIII (LWL). Image shows one out of four on exhibition in the Hessian Army Museum, Bad Wildungen/Germany. Design is identical with all 4, silk colours are each one white (picture), crimson red, leave green, and the last being a faded yellow or paille/straw. The museum is unable to identify them, besides attributing them to the period of Wilhelm VIII. It would be great if someone would do it.
In 1770, the pattern changed and the use of the Hessian Lion was introduced. The Hessian Lion was a backward facing lion rampant striped red and white usually on a sky blue field. Examples of this new pattern appear in the background of Frédéric's portrait. It shows 1. Garde, and Garde du Corps. The painting is dated 1773. Background ermine cloak shows Hessian Order of Golden Lion, founded in 1760. By the American War of Independence, the monograms had shifted to the corners, flaming grenades to the side and the adoption of flames had occurred.
Tentative Reconstruction of Hessian Colours
The following illustrations are tentative reconstructions of infantry colours of the Army of Hesse-Kassel. They are based on the four colours exhibited at the Hessian Army Museum, Bad Wildungen. Our reconstructions use elements of a landgrave crown published in Wikimedia Commons by Skukifish.
N.B.: we are currently trying to associate each Hessian line infantry regiment with the proper ordonnance colour.
Crogge for the initial version of this article.