Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1665. It garrisoned Fallersleben, Gifhorn, Burgdorf and Wittengen.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1742: von Bothmer
- from; 1743: von Freidermann
- from 1756: von der Knesebeck
- from 1758: von Reden
Service during the War
On July 26 1757, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment took part in the battle of Hastenbeck where it was deployed in the first line of the right wing under the command of General Block.
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the battle of Krefeld where it was deployed in the centre in Lieutenant-general Oberg's Brigade (6 battalions) which, at the opening of the battle was ordered to make diversion towards Sankt-Tönis. In December 1758, when the Allied army took its winter quarters in Westphalia, the regiment was quartered in Tillegette, Walbech and Alberstock.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of the Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in the first line of the 4th column in Major-general von Scheele's Brigade.
On July 10 1760, the regiment took part in the combat of Corbach where it was attached to the right column of the main corps under Lieutenant-general Count von Kilmannsegg. On October 16, at the battle of Clostercamp, the regiment along with the 87th Keith's Highlanders, the 23rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Huske) and the 20th Kingsley's Foot assaulted the monastery at Kamp.
On June 24 1762, the regiment took part in the battle of Wilhelmsthal where it was attached to Granby's Corps forming the left wing towards Dörnberg.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||white with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt), and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating black and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Flag: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Flag: Red field, cavalier in the centre, fortress with rockets issuing from the battlements, rophy of flags below, white scroll, motto above IMPAVIDUM FERIENT RUINE. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill, The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel H., and Hans M. Brauer, Heer und Tradition
Niemeyer Joachim, Ortenburg Georg, The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 1481