Los Rios Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 17:22, 21 September 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Los Rios Infantry

Origin and History

This Walloon regiment first served in the Dutch service, taking part in the battles of Oudenarde (1708) and Malplaquet (1709 ). In 1725, it was transferred in the Austrian service. Its Inhaber then became Franz marquis Los Rios de Gutierez. Its recruiting area was the Austrian Netherlands (actual Belgium).

During the War of the Austrian Succession, on June 27 1743, the regiment took part in the battle of Dettingen.

As per the Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759 and Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760, the regiment counted 4 battalions (2 grenadier coys and 16 fusilier coys) for a total of 2,300 men. This was the administrative organisation of the regiment. However, the tactical organisation differed: 2 field fusilier battalions, each of 6 companies; 2 grenadier companies (usually converged with grenadiers from other battalions into an ad hoc unit); and 1 garrison battalion of 4 companies (see Austrian Line Infantry Organisation for more details).

During the Seven Years' War, the chefs of the regiment were:

  • since 1725: Franz marquis Los Rios de Gutierez

During the Seven Years' War, its colonel-commanders were:

  • in 1756: Franz marquis Los Rios de Gutierez
  • from 1757: Joseph baron Murray de Melgum
  • from 1761: Franz prince Gavré d'Aiseau

In 1763, after the war, the regiment garrisoned Mons in the Austrian Netherlands.

Regimental numbers were introduced only in 1769 when this regiment was designated as "I.R. 9". It existed till 1918 as "I.R. Graf Clerfayt Nr. 9".

Service during the War

At the beginning of 1756, the regiment was garrisoning Bruxelles and Brügge in the Austrian Netherlands.

In 1757, the regiment contributed its 3rd Battalion (garrison battalion) to the Austrian Contingent sent to the assistance of the French Army during the invasion of Hanover. The four battalions strong Austrian Contingent assembled at Roermond. At the beginning of April, the prince de Soubise ordered the Austrian Contingent to move into the Cleves and Gueldres Duchies and occupy them. On April 6, three battalions of the Austrian Contingent, under the comte Dombasle, entered into Cleves. On April 8, the battalion of Los Rios occupied Wesel where it remained as garrison. On May 5, the battalion was assigned to the blockade of Gueldres. On July 26, the 3rd battalion took part in the battle of Hastenbeck. At the end of the year, the battalion took its winter quarters in Wesel on the Lower Rhine, in the fourth line of the French Army.

On May 6 1757, the two other battalions of the regiment took part to the battle of Prague where they were deployed in the baron Breysach's brigade, in the second line of the right wing of infantry under count Königsegg while their grenadiers joined the Grenadiers Corps. On June 18, one battalion of the regiment took part to the battle of Kolin where it formed part of Reichlin’s brigade in the corps of count Colloredo held in reserve behind the centre. The marquis Los Rios de Gutierez got the Maria-Theresia order for the good performance of his regiment during this battle. On September 7, when general Nádasdy attacked Winterfeldt's isolated corps during the combat of Moys, one battalion of the regiment was deployed in the first line of the infantry right division under the command of lieutenant-general Wied. Lieutenant-colonel Joh. de Pasteel got the Maria-Theresia order for his behaviour in this combat. On November 22, one battalion of the regiment took part to the battle of Breslau where it was part of the Reserve Corps in baron Blonquet's brigade. On December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, one battalion of the regiment was deployed in the first line of the far right Reserve under major-general von Luzinsky.

In April 1758, the 3rd battalion was recalled to reinforce the Austrian army in Bohemia. By August 2, one battalion of the regiment served in the first line of the main Austrian army under the command of field-marshal count Daun near Jarmeritz (actual Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou). Daun was following up the Prussian army retiring through Bohemia after the failure of the invasion of Moravia. In September, two battalions of the regiment took part in the siege of Pirna and Sonnenstein with the Reichsarmee. On October 10, two battalions took part in the battle of Hochkirch where they were deployed in the first line of the left column of Daun's main army, directly south of Hochkirch. Colonel Murray got the Maria-Theresia order for this action. In November, they took part in the blockade of Dresden.

On August 12 1759, the regiment took part in the battle of Kunersdorf. It later went to the Austrian Netherlands (Belgium) to replenish its ranks.

On June 23 1760, the residual battalion fought at the battle of Landeshut. In July, it took part in the siege of Glatz. On August 15, it fought at the battle of Liegnitz.

On August 16 1762 one battalion of the regiment fought at the battle of Reichenbach in Silesia. From August to October, a detachment took part in the defence of Schweidnitz.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1757 - Source: Kronoskaf
Uniform in 1762 - Source: Kronoskaf
Uniform Details
as per the Delacre Bilderhandschrift of 1757
and the Albertina Handschrift of 1762

completed with other sources where necessary
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced white with a white fastener and small yellow button (in addition in 1762: a white pompom and 2 smaller red within yellow pompoms)
Grenadier bearskin with a small brass frontplate and a dark green bag with a yellow tassel
Neckstock one red and one black (for parades the regimental commanders agreed before on the colour of the neckstocks)
Coat white with 3 yellow buttons under the right lapel and 1 yellow button in the small of the back on each side
Collar none
Shoulder Straps white edged dark green fastened by a yellow button (left shoulder only)
Lapels dark green with 7 yellow buttons (2 groups of 3 and an isolated one at the top)
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 yellow buttons
Cuffs dark green with 3 yellow buttons
Turnbacks dark green (white in 1762) fastened with a small yellow button
Waistcoat dark green (white in 1762) with 2 rows of 9 yellow buttons (3-3-3) and with horizontal pockets, each with 3 yellow buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters one pair of black (for winter) and one pair of white gaiters (for summer and parade)
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box black with a small brass plate carrying the initials “MT”
Bayonet Scabbard black
Scabbard black (grenadiers only)
Footgear black shoes


Troopers were armed with a musket (Model 1745 for fusiliers, Model 1754 for grenadiers). Grenadiers carried a sabre while fusiliers carried only a bayonet.

Other interpretations

For the late 1740s, Morier illustrates a single row of buttons on the waistcoat.

For the 1762 uniform, the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift illustrates 3 white within dark green pompom.

For the 1762 uniform, Raspe illustrates a dark green shoulder strap.

Officers

The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:

  • tricorne laced gold with a white and green cockade
  • black neckstock
  • no shoulder strap
  • no turnbacks
  • yellow and black silk sash

Senior officers carried sticks identifying their rank:

  • lieutenant: bamboo stick without knob
  • captain: long rush stick with a bone knob
  • major: long rush stick with a silver knob and a small silver chain
  • lieutenant-colonel: long rush stick with a larger silver knob without chain
  • colonel: long rush stick with a golden knob

Sergeants carried a halberd and a wooden stick.

Corporals carried a halberd.

Musicians

Until 1760, despite the new regulation of 1755, the musicians wore coats of reversed colours with white swallow nests and white turnbacks. From 1760, they wore uniforms identical to those of the privates with swallow nests on the shoulders.

The drum had a brass barrel decorated with black flames at the bottom and with a black double headed Eagle on a yellow field. Rims were decorated with red and white diagonal stripes. The bandolier was white.

Colours

All German infantry regiments carried identical colours: a white Leibfahne (colonel) and yellow Regimentsfahne. The hand painted colours were made of silk and measured Size 178 cm x 127 cm. The 260 cm long flagpoles had golden finial and were decorated with black and yellow spirals of cloth.

The colonel colour was carried by the first battalion.

Colonel flag (Leibfahne):

  • field: white
  • border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
  • obverse (right): the Immaculate Mother of God (which had been declared the patroness of the army by kaiser Ferdinand III) on a cloud, crushing a snake under her foot and surrounded by rays
  • reverse (left): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
Leibfahne – Source: PMPDel

Regimental flags (Regimentsfahne):

  • field: yellow
  • border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
  • obverse (right): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
  • reverse (left): unarmed and crowned Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Hungaria and Bohemia on a shield and the initials M on the left wing and T on the right
Regimentsfahne – Source: PMPDel

In fact, the situation on the field was slightly more complex than this, since colours were usually replaced only when worn out. It is fairly possible that some regiment who had been issued colours of the 1743 pattern were still carrying them at the beginning of the Seven Years' War. For more details, see Austrian Line Infantry Colours.

References

Accurate Vorstellung der sämtlichen KAYSERLICH KOENIGLICHEN ARMEEN zur eigentlichen Kentnis der UNIFORM von jedem Regimente. Nebst beygefügter Geschichte, worinne von der Stiftung, denen Chefs, der Staercke, und den wichtigsten Thaten jedes Regiments Nachricht gegeben wird., Nürnberg auf Kosten der Raspischen Buchhandlung. Ao. 1762

Bilderhandschrift Delacre: Militair Etat der Ganzen Kayl., Königl. Armee Wienn 1757

Bleckwenn, Hans; Die Regimenter der Kaiserin, Gedanken zur "Albertina Handschrift" 1762 des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums Wien, Köln: 1967

Dihm, Dr. Hermann; Oesterreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Klio

Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979

Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759

Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760

Friese, Ulf-Joachim, Quellen zur Uniformierung der österreichisch-ungarischen Armee 1740-1763

Funcken, Liliane and Fred; Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Hausmann, Friedrich, Die Feldzeichen der Truppen Maria Theresias, Schriften des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums, vol. 3, Vienna: 1967

Knötel, Herbert d.J.; Brauer, Hans M.: Heer und Tradition / Heeres-Uniformbogen (so-called “Brauer-Bogen”), Berlin 1926-1962, Österreich-Ungarn – 1756-63

Kornauth, Friedrich, Das Heer Maria Theresias: Faksimile-Ausgabe der Albertina-Handschrift, "Dessins des Uniformes des Troupes I.I. et R.R. de l'année 1762", Wien: 1973

Muhsfeldt, Th.; Abzeichenfarben der K. und K. Regimenter zu Fuss im Jahre 1757 und früher, in Mitteilungen zur Geschichte des militärischen Tracht, No. 12, 1904

Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989

Seidel, Paul; Nochmals österreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Clio

Service historique de l'armée de terre - Archives du génie, article 15, section 1, §5, pièce 23

Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, p. 32

Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993

Wrede, Alphons Freiherr von; Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht. Die Regimenter, Corps, Branchen und Anstalten von 1618 bis Ende des XIX. Jahrhunderts, Vol. 1, 124, Vienna, 1898-1905

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.

Acknowledgments

User:Zahn for gathering most of the information about this regiment