Origin and History
|The regiment was raised in 1702 by the Margrave of Ansbach. In 1709, it entered service in the army of King Augustus II as Grenadierregiment. In 1711, the unit was converted into a regiment of musketeers.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the regiment took part in all campaigns till 1713. Thereafter, it served in Poland and Pommerania until 1717.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served in Poland from 1733 to 1735 and in Hungary from 1737 to 1739.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment took part to the campaigns of 1742, 1744, 1745 in Bohemia, Moravia and Saxony. In 1748, it was augmented by 4 coys of the disbanded Bellegarde regiment. In 1749, 6 coys were disbanded.
In 1756, the regiment became prisoner at Pirna and turned over into Prussian service as Major-general von Manstein's regiment.
In 1757, the regiment was reformed in Hungary with a single battalion and served with the Saxon auxiliary corps with the French armies in all campaigns. In 1763, it was reorganised in 3 bataillons in 14 coys.
In 1778, the regiment was reduced to 2 battalions in 10 coys.
Seven Years' War Organisation'
The État of 1756 mentions 2 battalions with 10 coys of musketeers and 2 coys of grenadiers. Each musketeer coy had 95 men, grenadier coy 97 men, while the regimental staff counted 17 men. The regiment totalled some 1,160 men.
In 1757, the regiment was reformed in a single battalion with 4 coys plus 1 coy grenadiers formed from the dismounted Saxon cuirassiers.
In 1761, the grenadier company was disbanded and its troopers incorporated into a newly formed cavalry regiment.
Chef of the regiment:
Kommandeur of the regiment:
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the right wing under von Rochow, as part of von Bolberitz's brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The regiment was then forcefully incorporated into the Prussian Army as Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 53 Manstein.
In 1757, a new regiment was raised in Hungary, consisting of a single battalion of 4 musketeer companies. A 5th company of grenadiers was also added, it was formed from dismounted men from the Saxon cuirassier regiments. The new regiment was included into the Saxon Auxiliary contingent serving with the French Army.
In 1758, to avoid further contact with the Prussians, the contingent marched through southern Germany and had, by July, assembled in Strasbourg. On September 3, the regiment was part of the Saxon contingent, under the command of prince Xaver, who encamped at Castrop, 15 km from Recklinghausen, on his way to make a junction with the French army of the Marquis de Contades in Westphalia. This contingent made a junction with Contades' army around mid September. As part of Chevert's division, it reinforced the army of the Prince de Soubise in Hesse. On October 10, the contingent first saw action at the battle of Lutterberg where its determined attacks decided the day for the French army. On October 20, 10 days after their victorious action, the Saxon regiments rejoined Contades at Werl.
On April 13 1759, the regiment took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the first line of the left wing under the command of the baron de Dyherrn. In June, during the French offensive in West Germany, the regiment was part of the main army under the command of the Marquis de Contades where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry centre. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry left wing under the command of the comte de Lusace.
To do: description of the actions of the regiment from 1760 to 1763.
Besides the uniform worn at the beginning of the war in 1756 and after the capitulation of Pirna, the new regiments were re-dressed with white uniforms from Austrian depots, just adapting the distinctive colors. Because of the difference between Autrian and Saxon color pigments, the distinctive colors have perhaps changed a little bit (medium blue instead of French blue ?).
|Coat||white with a silver button in the small of the back, 6 (3+2+1) silver buttons on the chest, 3 silver buttons at waist level (right side only)
|Waistcoat||French blue with horizontal pockets with 3 silver buttons and lapels with silver buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sword.
Officers and NCOs wore a black tricorne laced silver with a white cockade.
Officers wore blue breeches (sky blue from 1761).
no information available yet
Leibfahne: white field wearing the Saxon-Polish coat of arms surrounded by rich red and silver embroideries with a blue border
Ordinarfahne: blue field with rich silver embroideries wearing a gold AR cipher on a stone pedestal surrounded by a green wreath and surmounted by a red and gold crown
Origin and History: editors translation from "Geschichte und gegenwärtiger Zustand der Kursächsischen Armee." (History and present state of the Saxon Army.) 2nd edition, part IX, Dresden 1793.
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.