Seahorse (24)

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 16:36, 15 December 2014 by RCouture (talk | contribs) (Created page with "<small>Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> {{PAGENAME}}</small> ==Origin and History== The shi...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Seahorse (24)

Origin and History

The ship was a sixth rate frigate. She was built by John Barnard at Harwich and launched on September 13 1748.

During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:

  • since April 1753: captain Hugh Palliser
  • from 1756: captain George Darby
  • from March 1757: captain Thomas Taylor
  • from July 1758: James Hackman (acting commander)
  • from October 1758: captain James Smith
  • from January 161 to 1763: captain Charles Cathcart Grant

In 1773, Horatio Nelson served as a midshipman aboard the frigate.

The frigate was sold on December 30 1784.

Service during the War

In January 1755, the frigate sailed for America, returning to Great Britain in July.

On May 15 1756, the frigate set sail for Newfoundland.

In 1757, the frigate served in the North Sea

On March 17 1758, the frigate was part of commodore Holmes' squadron who, after cruising off the north coast of Holland, came to an anchor in the straight between Delfzijl and Knock less than 10 km west of Emden. On March 18, the squadron came to a station between Knock and Emden. On March 19 in the morning, the French evacuated Emden.

On February 14 1759, the frigate sailed from Spithead in Great Britain as part of the fleet destined for the expedition against Québec. The voyage was long and tedious. On April 21, when the fleet finally reached Louisbourg, it was to find the harbour blocked with ice, so that the fleet made for Halifax instead. The fleet finally sailed for Louisbourg in May. From June 1 to 6, the fleet gradually left the harbour of Louisbourg and sailed for Québec. On June 23, Saunders' fleet made a junction with Durell's squadron at Isles-aux-Coudres. On June 26, the whole British fleet of vice-admiral Saunders was anchored safely off the southern shore of Isle-d'Orléans, a few km below Québec without loosing a single ship. On August 31, the Seahorse (24), 2 armed sloops and 2 storeships passed under the guns of Québec and joined other British vessels above Québec in preparation for a projected attack on the town from the west. Rear-admiral Holmes took command of the flotilla on the upper river. The town finally surrendered on September 18. At the end of October, vice-admiral Saunders fired his farewell salute and dropped down the Saint-Laurent river with his fleet on his way to Great Britain. However, he also left captain lord Colville in command of a small squadron, including several frigates (maybe this one), in North America.

From March to August 1760, the frigate was repaired at Deptford.

On January 10 1761, the frigate engaged the Aigrette (32).

In February 1762, the frigate transported British astronomers to the southern hemisphere.

To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762


Technical specifications
Guns 24
Upper deck 22 x 9-pdrs
Quarter deck 2 x 3-pdrs
Crew 160
Length 112 ft (34.1 m)
Width 32 ft (9.75 m)
Depth 10 ft 2 in (3.1 m)
Displacement 519 tons (471 metric tons)


Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks – British 6th Rates

Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy


  • HMS Seahorse (1748)

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.