Difference between revisions of "Svyatoy Aleksandr Nevskiy (66) 1749"

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to navigationJump to search
(Created page with "<small>Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> Russian Navy >> {{PAGENAME}}</small> ==Origin and History== The shi...")
Line 55: Line 55:
Chernyshev, A. A.: ''Russian sailing fleet'', Vol. 1
{{Russian Navy Main References}}
Veselago, F. F.: ''List of Russian warships from 1668 to 1860''  
'''Other Sources'''
Shirokorad, A. B.: ''200 лет парусного флота (200 years of sailing fleet)''
Chernyshev, A. A.: ''Russian Sailing Fleet'', Vol. 1
Shirokorad, A. B.: ''200 лет парусного флота (200 Years of Sailing Fleet)''

Latest revision as of 18:45, 17 August 2019

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> Russian Navy >> Svyatoy Aleksandr Nevskiy (66) 1749

Origin and History

The ship was built by by G. A. Okunev (Г.А. Окунев) at the Admiralty shipyard in St. Petersburg. The keel was laid down on October 12 1747 (October 1 old style, abbreviated O.S. in this article). She was launched on May 29 1749 (May 18 O.S.). She was attached to the Fleet of the Baltic Sea.

During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:

  • in 1756: Captain S. Vaxel (С. Ваксель)
  • in 1757 till July 13: Captain P. P. Anderson (П.П. Андерсон)
  • from July 13 1757: Captain S. M. Nazimov (С.М. Назимов)
  • in 1758: Captain A. M. Davydov (А.М. Давыдов)
  • in 1759: Captain F. I. Neklyudov (Ф.И. Неклюдов)
  • in 1760: Captain A. E. Shelting (А.Е. Шельтинг)
  • in 1761: Captain D. I. Vilison (Д.И. Вилисон)

The ship was broken up in 1763 in Kronshtadt.

Service during the War

On June 11 1757 (May 31 O.S.), the ship, as part of a squadron under Admiral Z. D. Mishukov (З.Д. Мишуков), sailed from Kronshtadt to blockade the Prussian coasts. She then cruised near Memel. On August 19 (August 8 O.S.), she left Danzig with the squadron sailing to Sweden and, on September 28 (September 17 O.S.), finally arrived at Kronshtadt.

On July 13 1758 (July 2 O.S.), the ship sailed from Kronshtadt with the squadron destined to cruise in the Baltic. From July 20 (July 9 O.S.) to September 8 (August 28 O.S.), she was part of the Russo-Swedish fleet who cruised at the entry of the Baltic between Danish Zealand and the Swedish coast to prevent any intervention of the British Navy. On September 8 (August 28 O.S.), she sailed back to Kronshtadt with this squadron.

From July to September 1759, the ship was part of the squadron who transported troops from Kronshtadt to Danzig.

On August 5 1760 (July 25 O.S.), the ship with troops aboard sailed from Kronshtadt as part of a squadron. On August 26 (August 15 O.S.), this squadron arrived at Colberg, landed the troops and blockaded the fortress. On September 21 (September 10 O.S.), the ship re-embarked troops and left Colberg, towing a galiot. On October 9 (September 28 O.S.), she arrived at Kronshtadt.

From 1761 the ship was out of active service.


Sketch of a typical 66-gun ship according to the Shipbuilding Regulations – Source: Collection of Roman Shlygin

The design of most Russian ships of the line of this period still adhered tightly to the Shipbuilding Regulations issued by Peter the Great in 1723.

Technical specifications as per Veselago
Guns 66
Lower gun deck 24 x 24-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Upper gun deck 26 x 12-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Quarterdeck and Forecastle 16 x 6-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Crew no information found
Length at gun deck 47.40 m (155' 6”)
Width 12.65 m (41' 6”)
Depth in Hold 5.48 m (18'0”)
Displacement approx. 1,200 metric tons


Main Sources

Ministry of the Sea - Material for the History of the Russian Navy, vol 10, St. Petersburg, 1883 in a collection of 17 volumes published from 1865 to 1904

Veselago, Fedosey Fedorovich: List of Russian Naval Vessels from 1668 to 1869, St. Petersburg: Ministry of the Sea, 1872

Other Sources

Chernyshev, A. A.: Russian Sailing Fleet, Vol. 1

Shirokorad, A. B.: 200 лет парусного флота (200 Years of Sailing Fleet)



Roman Shlygin for the initial version of this article