Origin and History
The frigate was designed by Thomas Slade, built by John Randall at Rotherhithe and launched on April 3 1756.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from March 23 1756: Captain John Lockhart
- from February 1757: First Lieutenant Thomas Baillie
- from March 30 1757: Captain John Lockhart
- from 1758: Captain John Knight
- from August 1762 to April 1763: Captain Hon. Henry St John
The frigate was wrecked off San Domingo on April 1 1797.
Service during the War
In 1756, the frigate was employed against French privateers and successively captured the Cerf (22) on August 12; and the Grand Gideon (26) on October 23.
In 1757, the frigate captured other French privateers. On February 18, she captured the Montrozier (22). During the engagement, Captain Lockhart was severely wounded and was absent for two months. On March 27, under First Lieutenant Baillie, the frigate captured the Marie-Victoire (26) which was incorporated in the Royal Navy and renamed Tartar's Prize (24). Captain Lockhart rejoined his frigate on March 30. On April 13, he captured the sloop Duc d'Aiguillon (18); on August 18, the Pénélope (18); on October 29, the corvette Comtesse de Grammont (18) who became the Gramont (18); and on November 2, the frigate Mélampe (36) which was taken, after a long chase and a stubborn action. The latter frigate was incorporated in the Royal Navy as the Melampe (36).
At the end of May 1758, the frigate was part of Commodore Howe's squadron who, from June 1 to July 1, escorted the amphibious expedition against the French coasts. From July 31 to September 19, she probably took part in the second expedition against the French Coasts.
In the autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of the British squadron in the Downs, under Commodore Sir Piercy Brett. In October, when the French squadron of Thurot slipped out of Dunkerque harbour through a thick fog and made to the northward, Brett's squadron was ordered to Yarmouth to protect the coast of England.
In 1760, the frigate was part of Brett's squadron in the Downs.
In 1761, the frigate was part of Lord Anson's squadron which, on September 6, escorted Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz to Harwich.
In 1762, the frigate captured the Cerbère (12) and the Auguste (10).
|Length||117 ft 10 in (35.9 m)|
|Width||33 ft 9 in (10.3 m)|
|Depth||10 ft 3 in (3.1 m)|
|Displacement||587 long tons|
This article contains texts from the following book which is now in the public domain:
- Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 293
Blasco, Manuel: British 6th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, 3 Decks
Phillip, Michael: Ships of the Old Navy
- HMS Tartar (1756)
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.