Unnamed (66)

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> Russian Navy >> Unnamed (66)

Origin and History

The ship was built by I. V. James (И. В. Ямес) at the Solombalskaya dockyard in Archangelsk. The keel was laid down on May 10 1757 (April 29 old style later abbreviated to O.S.). The ship was launched on May 31 1758 (May 20 O.S.). She was attached to the Fleet of the Baltic Sea.

According to Chernyshev, ships built at Archangelsk dockyard were usually given name after their arrival at Kronshtadt. Since this ship was lost during her journey from Archangelsk to Kronshtadt, she remained unnamed.

During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:

  • in 1758: Captain H. P. Laptev (Х. П. Лаптев)

The ship was wrecked in the Skagerrak in October 1758.

Service during the War

In June 1758, the ship started her journey from Archangelsk to the Baltic. From August 22 to 24 (August 11 to 13 O.S.), during a heavy storm, she lost all three masts and was forced to anchor at Bergen for repair. On September 22 (September 11 O.S.), the ship resumed her journey armed with fake guns. On September 30 (September 19 O.S.), she ran aground on reefs in the Skagerrak. A dinghy sent towards the coast capsized and a midshipman and 15 sailors died. Water quickly flowed inside the ship. On October 3 (September 22 O.S.), the hull broke in two and, by October 7 (September 26 O.S.), was dispersed by waves. However, the crew had had enough time to be transported ashore.


Sketch of a typical 66-gun ship according to the Shipbuilding Regulations – Source: Collection of Roman Shlygin

The design of most Russian ships of the line of this period still adhered tightly to the Shipbuilding Regulations issued by Peter the Great in 1723.

Technical specifications
Guns 66
Lower gun deck 24 x 24-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Upper gun deck 26 x 12-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Quarterdeck and Forecastle 16 x 6-pdrs (Russian pounds)
Crew no information found
Length at gun deck 47.40 m (155' 6”)
Width 13.25 m (43' 6”)
Depth in Hold 5.30 m (17'5”)
Displacement no information found


Main Sources

Ministry of the Sea - Material for the History of the Russian Navy, vol 10, St. Petersburg, 1883 in a collection of 17 volumes published from 1865 to 1904

Veselago, Fedosey Fedorovich: List of Russian Naval Vessels from 1668 to 1869, St. Petersburg: Ministry of the Sea, 1872

Other Sources

Chernyshev, A. A.: Lost with no battle - Catastrophes of Russian ships XVIII-XX centuries

Shirokorad, A. B.: 200 лет парусного флота (200 Years of Sailing Fleet)



Roman Shlygin for the initial version of this article