Origin and History
The ship was initially built by Furzer at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched on 31 January 1679.
On 29 May 1692, during the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the ship took part in the Battle of Barfleur. A few days later, on 4 June, she fought at the Battle of La Hogue.
In May 1699, the ship underwent a rebuild by J. Batt at Chatham Dockyard.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, the ship was under the command of:
- since 1700: Captain William Kerr
- in 1702: Captain James Wishart
- from 1703: Captain Lord Archibald Hamilton
- from 1705 to 2 November 1707: Captain Robert Hancock
The ship was lost with all hands on 2 November 1707 when she struck rocks off the Isles of Scilly.
Service during the War
By the Summer of 1701, the ship was part of the large Anglo-Dutch fleet assembled at Spithead.
In August 1702, the ship was part of the powerful combined fleet assembled for the unsuccessful expedition against Cádiz. During this expedition, two companies of the Thomas Erle's Foot acted as marines on board the ship. On its way home, on 23 October, this fleet captured the largest part of the plate-fleet in the Battle of Vigo Bay.
From September 1703, the ship served in the Mediterranean.
In 1704, the ship served once more in the Mediterranean, conveying Archduke Charles to Lisbon. The archduke gave his picture set with diamonds and a purse of one hundred guineas to Lord Archibald Hamilton in recognition for his services. At the end of April, the ship was part of a British squadron under the command of Rooke who sailed from Lisbon, bombarded Barcelona before attempting a landing. The squadron then sailed for Nice, which was threatened by a French army. It then followed a French squadron sailing towards Toulon before returning to the Straits of Gibraltar and watering in Altea Bay. The ship, along with the Hampton Court (70), were sent to Altea where the governor of the place opened on them with two guns mounted on a tower. These guns were soon silenced and dismounted. From 1 to 3 August, the ship took part in the capture of Gibraltar. On 24 August, she fought in the Battle of Málaga where she lost 65 men killed or wounded. Having exhausted all of her ammunition, she had to leave the line of battle before the end of the engagement. Her captain had to face a court martial but was honourably acquitted.
In 1706, the ship cruised of Ostend. In September, she was sent to the Mediterranean once more.
In 1707, the ship served in the Mediterranean. On 2 November, as she was sailing for Portsmouth, she was lost with all hands when she struck rocks off the Isles of Scilly.
Characteristics after the 1699 rebuild
|Guns||70 (as of 1703)
|Crew||no information found, probably around 460 men|
|Length at gundeck||156 ft 6 in (47.55 m)|
|Width||40 ft 8 in (12.40 m)|
|Depth||17 ft 3 in (5.19 m)|
|Displacement||1099 tons BM|
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.